Sunday, December 3, 2017

Us, by Curtis Wiklund

Curtis Wiklund makes his living as a photographer, but he accepted his wife's challenge to sketch their marriage every day for a year.  The resulting collection is Us, a wonderfully heartwarming look at Curtis and his wife Jordin's life together as newlyweds.

The illustrations range from rough sketches to lovely watercolors.  Mostly they are black and white line drawings.  As simple as the drawings are, they capture the couple's friendship and intimacy.  Curtis shows his deep affection for Jordin with these drawings.  I don't know this couple at all, but seeing their young love portrayed here made me want to go do something fun with my wife, to give her kisses, or to snuggle on the couch. 

Maybe it's wrong to appreciate a book more for how it makes me feel than for the actual content.  But I have a feeling Curtis, a wedding photographer, would not object to my saying Us inspired me to love my wife of 25 years like a newlywed.

You should also check out the video of him proposing to Jordin:
curtiswiklundphoto.com/proposal/


Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the complimentary electronic review copy!

No comments:

Post a Comment