Friday, December 15, 2017

Running Rewired, by Jay Dicharry

Jay Dicharry, physical therapist and running coach, wants to rewire your running.  Running Rewired: Reinvent Your Run for Stability, Strength, and Speed describes "a system of workouts designed to bring about specific adaptations in your body to impact your run."  These workouts "will improve your movement precision and build your spring for better performance."

Dicharry has way of making these workouts, and the overall philosophy, relatable and useful.  Emphasizing core strength, posture, and form, Dicharry provides a series of workouts to focus on specific movements or muscle groups.  His descriptions and illustrations are easy to follow and replicate. 

On the other hand, this is the kind of book that makes me wish the author was right here with me.  I need him to watch me run and tell me what I need to work on.  I need him to narrow down the large number of exercises and give me a few to work on.  I need some guidance!  Dicharry lays out a lot of information for a good start, but it will take some patience to write your own prescription based on Dicharry's guidance.

For runners who want to run longer and stronger, it's worth taking some time to study Dicharry's recommendations and exercises, give them a try for a few weeks, and see how you improve.  If you're like me, you just to like to get out and run.  But I plan to take some time to work on some of these exercises and see how it impacts the way I run.




Thanks to Edelweiss and the publisher for the complimentary electronic review copy!

No comments:

Post a Comment