Saturday, December 23, 2017

In My World, by Jillian Ma, illustrated by Mimi Chao

Jillian Ma's book In My World, beautifully illustrated by Mimi Chao, invites the reader to see the world through the eyes of an autistic child.  For most of the book, the child narrator talks about his world, in which he can have adventures, dance, fly, and sing, and where he "can be seen and heard."  Of course most children have vivid imaginations and love to do all of these things.  But then . . ., "In your world, I have Autism."  The stark bleakness of this page only lasts a moment, as the next page contains a plea: "But with the help of you and you and you, I can fulfill my dreams and make them come true.  Help me dream."

This is a fun yet poignant look into the active mind of an autistic child.  It's perfect for group reading, especially in a mixed-needs classroom.  I love the whimsical illustrations and the cute expressions on the kids' faces.  Let this book encourage you to see and hear others, especially kids, whose minds may work differently from yours.



Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the complimentary electronic review copy!

No comments:

Post a Comment