Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Void Star, by Zachary Mason

I rarely start a book without finishing it.  Unfortunately, I didn't get all the way through Void Star by Zachary Mason.  I should have followed the clues on Amazon.  "The best and most beautiful book about computers since Neuromancer."  I really didn't like Neuromancer.  "Void Star utilizes a deliberate, predatory pace more common to the most exquisite horror novels."  I am no fan of horror novels.  "The hallucinatory beauty of the prose . . ."  Yeah, those hallucinatory sequences unmoored my mind from the book . . . and got me hallucinating about reading something else.  "His language delights . . ."  True, he does have some nice language and colorful prose (plus some vocabulary I had to look up).  I just didn't get into his style.  Or the story.

I know it may not be fair to review a book I didn't read all of.  I just felt like moving on to something else.  I'm giving this a middle-of-the-road 3 out of 5, recognizing that readers who like this genre will probably like the book.  It just wasn't for me.


Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the complimentary electronic review copy!

No comments:

Post a Comment