Friday, November 8, 2019

Why My Cat is More Impressive Than Your Baby, by The Oatmeal

Matthew Inman, a.k.a. "The Oatmeal," has an odd sense of humor.  That's one of the reasons I like him.  In My Cat Is More Impressive Than Your Baby, he collects some of his cartoons and musings about cats, babies, dogs, and life.  It's silly, foul-mouthed hilariousness.

Parents in particular will laugh at his portrayal of babies as puking and pooping annoyances.  Yes, babies "siphon milk from boobs and then spray it out of its a--."  For some, babies may transform "interesting, hopeful people into bald, sallow, regretful barf-slaves."  We can laugh, but it all seems rather sad, coming from someone with no children and apparently a sad and lonely conception of parenthood.  I know, I know, it's a humor book about cats, but it still seems so unbalanced and despairing.

The cat stuff is pretty funny.  They rule the home.  They are not to be owned (they own you).  They are far superior to dogs.  Etc.  If you like The Oatmeal, and if you like cats, you'll get a kick out of this book.  (I was a bit disappointed.  Inman's The Terrible and Wonderful Reasons Why I Run Long Distances was brilliant.  More like that, Inman!)





No comments:

Post a Comment