Monday, November 4, 2019

Sorry I Ruined Your Childhood, by Ben Zaehringer

With a strong shot of nostalgia mixed with a very contemporary feel, Ben Zaehringer probably won't ruin your childhood (and your adulthood), but he'll make you laugh about it.  His cartoons in Sorry I Ruined Your Childhood hit the sweet spot with me generationally and with his not-crude-but-sometimes-bizarre-and-irreverant tone.  His pop culture references range from "Sesame Street" and Disney movies to The Shining, Ghostbusters, and Alien

It's not just pop culture, though.  Zaehringer's sense of humor is a bit dark, maybe a bit obsessive about death, and super punny.  I was laughing out loud on almost every page, but when I shared with my wife and son, they weren't as impressed.

It's always fun to find someone whose sense of humor is just as twisted as my own.  Zaehringer is that cartoonist for me.  Maybe he is for you, too.


Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the complimentary electronic review copy!



No comments:

Post a Comment