Friday, March 8, 2019

The Bible of Unspeakable Truths, by Greg Gutfeld

I really enjoy Greg Gutfeld on Fox News Channel's "The Five."  He's hilarious, irreverent, and is a conservative who's not afraid to ruffle feathers by straying from conservative talking points.  In his book The Bible of Unspeakable Truths, he offers some of his characteristic political commentary, but mostly it's full of his characteristic non-political social commentary and general goofiness.

The goofiness, unfortunately, sets the tone of the book.  Maybe, since these pieces were originally short, stand-alone magazine pieces or magazine marginalia, that goofiness was more palatable in small doses.  But in concentrated form in the book, it gets old.  Examples: "Back when I was a teenager/transgendered tennis pro in the 1980s. . . ."  "So there I was, lounging in my shorty robe made of sliced meats . . ."  "I spend my time doing what all good journalists do: trying to find my pants."

Amid this sprinkling of silly non sequiturs, Gutfeld has a solid take on the topics he covers, even if he communicates his take in a snarky, dismissive style.  Of course, that's what he's known for.  Oh, and I haven't mentioned that this is definitely not a book for kids.  He jokes a lot about drinking, sex, cannibalism, and other off-color topics  Gutfeld's fans will enjoy the book.  Readers looking for a bit more substance will be disappointed.  Nevertheless, all readers will get a good laugh.



No comments:

Post a Comment