Wednesday, January 10, 2018

The Wind Up Girl, by Paolo Bacigalupi

There are a couple reasons why I went ahead and finished The Windup Girl.  First of all, I have a compulsion to finish any book that I start.  Second, I was interested in the fate of the windup girl.  In the meantime, I became quite distracted and bored.

It's not that Paolo Bacigalupi is a bad writer.  His writing is, at times, beautiful and poetic.  His portrayal of a future Thailand, where fossil fuels are rarely used, sea levels have risen tremendously, and genetic engineering has permanently transformed the world's flora and fauna, including everyone's diets, is detailed, elaborate, and compelling.  But the multilayered story, the political and societal changes that are bubbling up from under the surface, and the contemplative passages interspersed among passages where something actually happened, lost my interest.

I did get to the end.  Some of the threads from early in the story that had seemed extraneous came together, to a certain extent.  But, ultimately, The Windup Girl is not a book to my taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment