Friday, September 22, 2017

Bible Matters, by Tim Chester

UK pastor Tim Chester is one of the most straight-forward, reliably orthodox, and inspiring authors I have read in a long time.  In Bible Matters: Meeting God In His Word, he encourages love for the Bible, not as a book, but as a direct line to the voice of God.  He says that he wants readers "to realize that every time you read the Bible, you're hearing the voice of God--just as surely, more surely, than if you have some kind of dramatic experience."

Chester's deep love of the Bible comes across throughout Bible Matters.  It's not a matter of idolatry of a book, but love of Jesus.  "I love to hear [Jesus'] voice. . . . [The Bible] enables me to hear my Savior's voice."  He supports the use of Bible reading plans, but encourages us not to see them as a list to check off.  (I have been guilty of that!).  I love his suggestion that as we read, "turn what you read into prayer."  I have found this to be a great way to engage the scriptures and personalize God's word for me.

He takes a hard line against the tendency to reject the teachings of scripture in favor of cultural trends.  For personal and/or cultural reasons, Christians sometimes will selectively read the Bible, choosing what they want to obey or recognize as authoritative.  "Most Christians are happy to accept the authority of the Bible until it teaches something they don't like." 

Bible Matters is a great resource for reinvigorating your love of the Bible, and reminding you why you read it.  I enjoy Chester's style of communication and the unyielding faith and confidence in God and his word that he conveys.  I recommend Bible Matters for all Christians, no matter where on their walk of faith they are.



Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the complimentary electronic review copy!

No comments:

Post a Comment