Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Beautiful You, by Chuck Palahniuk

Every Chuck Palahniuk book I read makes me sadder and sadder about his writing career.  The brilliance and social commentary that made him famous have either run out or gone bad.  Beautiful You may be one of the worst.

A billionaire invents a line of, ahem, tools of self-gratification for females.  "A billion husbands are about to be replaced. . . ."  His products take over the world, introducing an experience more addicting than any drug.  Women disappear from public life.  Of course he's being absurd, taking the story to ridiculous extremes.  But he doesn't make a worthwhile point.

Speaking of worthwhile, I don't anticipate that any future Palahniuk books will be worth my while.  If any future titles return to the level of Fight Club, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.



Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the complimentary electronic review copy!

No comments:

Post a Comment