Friday, April 3, 2015

Bonita Avenue, by Peter Buwalda

I don't really know what to say about Peter Buwalda's Bonita Avenue.  Actually, yes I do.  I didn't like it.  I know it's a matter of taste, and I can see that some people might like this book.  There are some strong literary qualities.  Some of the descriptive passages and dialogue are well-done.

So why didn't I like it?  I didn't care for the characters.  Give me at least some reason to feel sympathetic and be interested in their fates.  The story was jumbled.  Jumping around the timeline can be effective, potentially powerful way to unfold the events of a story.  In Bonita Avenue, it didn't work for me.  Same goes for the shifting points of view.  And by the time the shifting timelines sorted out the tragic, climactic chain of events, it was so anti-climactic that I was just ready for it to be done.  What should have been gruesome, then emotionally powerful, was just tiresome.

So there you go.  A few thoughts.  Maybe I'm wrong.  I just didn't like it.  There is so much great fiction out there, do yourself a favor and find something else to read. 


Thanks to Blogging for Books for the complimentary review copy!

If this review was helpful to you, please give my review at Amazon.com a helpful vote!

No comments:

Post a Comment