Monday, September 8, 2014

People I Want to Punch in the Throat, by Jen Mann

There are mommy blogs, and then there are the anti-mommy-blogs.  (I mean blogs opposite of the usual mommy blogs, not blogs against motherhood. . . . Although perhaps there are those, too.)  Jen Mann has a mommy blog with attitude, and has collected some of her rants and observations in People I Want to Punch in the Throat: Competitive Crafters, Drop-Off Despots, and Other Suburban Scourges.

Social niceties aren't really Mann's thing.  She doesn't have a lot of patience for the "perfect mothers" who surround her in her suburban neighborhood.  I'm no PTA mom and I don't have as much experience in the carpool lane or neighborhood book club as Mann does, but, like any parent of school-age kids, I could relate to her wild tales of confrontation and disputation.  I am not as confrontative or disputative as Mann, but I loved living vicariously through her.

Mann has an attitude and a potty mouth to go with it, but I couldn't help but laugh with her.  I'd love to be a fly on the wall at her next teacher-parent conference or PTA meeting.  She's a riot.

For more from Mann, follow her aptly-named blog, http://www.peopleiwanttopunchinthethroat.com/.




Thanks to Edelweiss and the publisher for the complimentary electronic review copy!

No comments:

Post a Comment