Sunday, September 7, 2014

I Need a New Butt, by Dawn McMillan, illustrated by Ross Kinnaird

If there is a need for silly, pointless, entertaining children's books, Dawn McMillan and Ross Kinnaird have found that niche.  Their new book, I Need a New Butt definitely fits the bill.  Their hero has discovered his butt crack, decides that it must have happened when he farted, and speculates over getting a replacement.

He weighs the virtues of different types of butts he might get (wood, armor-plated, chrome, rocket-powered, different colors) but resigns himself to his fate.  He's stuck with the butt he has, and is somewhat comforted and disturbed to discover that his dad's butt has a crack as well.

I Need a New Butt reminded me of I Wish That I Had Duck Feet by Dr. Seuss.  I could speculate that McMillan and Kinnaird have a lesson here about kids discovering how their bodies work, etc.  But mostly it's just a silly book.  This is one for dads to read to their boys.  Little boys will enjoy the silly humor, but mothers who forbid their children to use the "F-word" (fart) will not appreciate it.



Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the complimentary electronic review copy!

No comments:

Post a Comment