Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Teach Like Your Hair's On Fire

If you're a teacher, you have probably read books, seen videos, or attended conferences about the fabled super-teachers, who have ideas, energy, wisdom, and gifts beyond what you can imagine. Well, add Rafe Esquith to your list.

I knew I was in trouble on the first page of the introduction: "For almost twelve hours a day, six days a week, forty-eight weeks a year, my fifth-graders and I . . . ." I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not sure I want to put that kind of time into teaching! I want my wife and three kids to remember what I look like! Rafe (his students call him Rafe, so maybe he won't mind if I do, too.) mentions his wife a couple of times--she thinks he's crazy, he says--and mentions a grown step daughter. So I am assuming he doesn't have children of his own. I know I will never have the dedication, time, or creativity of Rafe, but I can take something away from his book and his example.

I have never heard of American psychologist Lawrence Kohlberg, or at least not that I remember. Rafe applies his six levels of moral development to the classroom. These are great; I would hope to be able to develop these in my students, as well as in my own children (and maybe, while I'm at it, in myself!)
Level I: I don't want to get in trouble.
Level II: I want a reward.
Level III: I want to please somebody.
Level IV: I follow the rules.
Level V: I am considerate of other people.
Level VI: I have a personal code of behavior and I will follow it.
Why stop at teaching behavior and demanding students abide by rules? Why not teach character? Easier said than done, but Rafe tells plenty of stories to demonstrate that it can be done.

Another great section is on problem solving, which, as he describes it, is not limited to math, but to all of life. He calls this "the Bible." Students all have copies, and recite it regularly.

How to Solve a Problem
Step 1. Understand the problem
(Put your pencil down.)
Collect relevant data.
Step 2. Choose an appropriate strategy.
Act it out.
Choose an operation.
Draw a picture.
Guess and check.
Look for a pattern.
Make a chart or table.
Make an organized list.
Use logical reasoning.
Work backwards.
Step 3. Solve the problem.
(Pick your pencil up.)
Step 4. Analyze.
Does my answer make sense?

There are plenty of wonderful nuggets in this book. I think most teachers would feel like I do--woefully inadequate compared to this exceptional man. But I think we can all learn from him. I certainly don't want to settle for mediocrity, from my students or myself, and I don't want to be a part of the constantly lowered expectations schools have for students. My hope as a teacher is that a few years down the road, some kid somewhere will remember me fondly and will be a better person for the time I spent with her or him.

No comments:

Post a Comment