Saturday, August 18, 2007

Star Wars: Dark Empire I


Like many guys my age (actually, many guys between 4-44), I regret that George Lucas is reportedly all done making Star Wars movies. I seem to remember him long ago talking about a third sequel, Episodes VII-IX. Alas, we will probably never see them. However, the next best thing is the Star Wars Expanded Universe. I think the graphic novels Dark Empire I, DE II, and End of Empire make a good run at being the third sequel. With a little imagination, you can see the movies in your mind. . . .

It's six years later. Han and Leia are married with 2 children. Luke is training Leia in the way of the Jedi. Luke is still struggling with his father's fall and his own destiny. The emperor managed to resurrect himself via clones of himself. (This isn't fully explained, but, hey, it's SF, just roll with it.) Luke decides the only way he can defeat Palpatine is to join the dark side and work from within to bring it down. Of course, Han has to come to his rescue, R2D2 has to convey the stolen plans, and the there has to be a climactic light saber duel.

Maybe this isn't great literature, but it's fun to see where the Star Wars saga may have gone. Now I have to get my hands on Dark Empire II. . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment