Thursday, April 5, 2012

Lunatics, by Dave Barry and Alan Zwiebel

I have to read anything with Dave Barry's name on it.  He's one of the funniest writers ever.  I had never heard of Alan Zwiebel, but he wrote for Saturday Night Live back when it was funny, so he must be funny, too.  Lunatics is the first collaboration for these two writers, and the third novel for Dave Barry, after his two solo efforts, Big Trouble and Tricky Business.

So, as expected, Lunatics is funny, at times laugh-out-loud hilarious.  The story begins with Philip Horkman calling Jeffrey Peckerman's daughter offside at a youth soccer game.  A chance meeting the next day and a snowballing sequence of misunderstandings, coincidences, and luck take Horkman and Peckerman on a journey that includes becoming wanted terrorists, traveling on a clothing optional cruise, overthrowing Castro, feeding starving refugees, bringing peace to the Middle East and democracy to China, and running against each other for President.  Along the way they become the most famous and revered figures in the world.
Barry and Zwiebel
At first, the unlikely events are just believable enough that, as crazy as the outcomes are, I can almost see them happening.  But about the time they board a cruise ship, fleeing a manhunt for them in Manhattan, the story gets shakier and shakier.  It's still funny, but gets into the silly, outrageous, stupid, and gross form of humor.  If you've read Dave Barry, you know that's to be expected, and if you like Dave Barry, you will love his silly and stupid humor.

I enjoyed Lunatics, because I love Dave Barry and his silly, stupid humor.  However, if all I read was his novels, I'm not sure how impressed I would be.  His non-fiction books and columns are brilliant, classic, hilarious, and can be read over and over.  Lunatics, not so much.

1 comment:

  1. Dave Berry is my kind of guy. I enjoy his wring as well. It sounds like a very funny book. I will read it eventually.

    ReplyDelete