Sunday, September 2, 2018

Less, by Rachel Aust

With her YouTube videos and blog posts, Rachel Aust has made a name for herself in promoting the minimalist lifestyle.  In Less: A Visual Guide to Minimalism, she gathers many of her ideas in one place as a handy resource.  I found that while most people wouldn't want to go completely minimal as she has, her topic-by-topic presentation makes taking steps toward minimalism practical and doable.

Throughout the book, she has flow charts and decision trees you can use as you make changes in your home.  So as, for instance, you are sorting through the clutter in your closet or garage, you ask "Have I used this in the last six months?  Did I forget I own it?  Am I sure I'll need it again?"  That will be step one, and then there are more questions to ask, but, eventually you can decide whether to keep it, or gift/donate/sell it.  Her methods got me to thinking about how much junk in my house I can really live without, and to stop and think before I buy one more piece of junk where it will be in six months.

On other topics, I wasn't quite so excited.  For instance, on the minimal wardrobe, she promotes wearing a single color palette (bland) and wearing the same things over and over.  There is certainly something attractive to this.  I guess I am a bit like this (I'd be happy with a wardrobe of all the same neutral color pants with a variety of shirts to match), but guys have it easier than girls.

As an advocate for minimalism, Aust is over-the-top minimalist in every area.  But she doesn't beat you over the head with it.  Her attitude seems to be, "Here's what I do.  Take bits and pieces of it and figure out what works for you."  I'm pretty sure every single person reading this review could put some of Aust's suggestions to work and be better of for it.  I know I could!


Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the complimentary electronic review copy!

No comments:

Post a Comment