Friday, May 25, 2018

Chicago, by David Mamet

With apologies to David Mamet, who has written some brilliant stuff, I did not like his novel Chicago at all.  If you loved Glengarry Glen Ross or The Spanish Prisoner, as I did, prepare yourself to be sorely disappointed.  Chicago features a lot of dialogue--I mean a lot, as in do these people ever shut up--in the clipped, repetitive style that is so effective and distinctive in his Mamet's work.  I can't describe it very well, but you know it if you know Mamet. 

The story takes place in Chicago in the 1920s.  Gangsters, a newspaper reporter, his flower-shop gal, the hooker with the heart of gold, speakeasies, and a dash of gun violence all set the tone.  The problem is, I never could get into the story.  I stuck around to the end but never was glad I did.  Maybe there's enough of a story here that he could put together a decent screenplay and make a successful movie.  I guess I'd watch it.  It would only be a couple hours wasted if I didn't like it.  But really, there's just not much to say about Chicago except don't bother with the book.  Pull out your old VHS copy of The Spanish Prisoner and watch that instead.


Thanks to Edelweiss and the publisher for the complimentary electronic review copy!

No comments:

Post a Comment