Monday, August 21, 2017

Single, Gay, Christian, by Gregory Coles

Gregory Coles's voice is one I have not heard enough of in the conversation about sexuality and Christian faith.  Gregory, a gay, celibate follower of Jesus, tells the story of his faith and sexual identity in Single, Gay, Christian: A Personal Journey of Faith and Sexual Identity.  As he grappled with his young faith and his emerging knowledge that he was attracted to men and not women, he found "two kinds of gay Christians: the ones who revised the traditional interpretation of the Bible's stance on homosexual behavior in order to pursue committed same-sex relationships, and the ones who repented after years of promiscuity and became straight. . . . Neither category included me."  He says he was "unconvinced by revisionary theology on homosexuality, [yet] unable to conjure even the slightest heterosexual desire."

Ruling out the acceptance of homosexuality and the possibility of attraction to women left Gregory with a single option: celibacy.  In no way does he make his choice sound easy.  Anyone, gay or straight, can tell you that it can be a tough choice.  What I love about Gregory's perspective is that he has made the choice in light of his deep love for Jesus.  He doesn't lament the fact that he's choosing never to experience sexual intimacy, but he rejoices in the intimacy he has with Jesus.  While Gregory is not a pastor or priest, I am sure my friends who are priests would say the same thing.  Gregory challenges me to evaluate my priorities and my own willingness to alter my lifestyle in order to fall more in love with Jesus and follow him more closely, even to the point of self-denial and suffering.

I appreciated the honesty and openness with which Gregory shared his story.  I have to admit, parts of it made me uncomfortable.  He gives me a lot of hope, though, for my friends who have struggled with homosexuality.  The choice isn't between being gay or Christian; the choice is between following Jesus or not.  Even after reading this, I have a hard time seeing the value of identifying as gay if one is celibate.  If anyone, whether a priest or a confirmed bachelor or celibate gay man, is committed to a life of celibacy, does gay or straight still matter?  Clearly, to Gregory, it is part of his identity, and I respect his choice in declaring it.  As a result, he is equipped to reach a population that I, as a married, straight male might not reach.  He concludes that he is "a guy who's gay and loves Jesus and isn't ashamed to admit either of those things."  Thank you, Gregory, for your boldness and your call to follow Jesus, no matter the cost.


Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the complimentary electronic review copy!

1 comment:

  1. I thought this review was exceptionally well done.
    --Bassocantor

    ReplyDelete