Saturday, September 3, 2016

Spirit Magnet in Texas, by Ann Bridges

I gotta admit, I'm quite skeptical of claims about ghostly activity, so a book about ghosts would not normally appeal to me.  But Ann Bridges has lived for many years in the Fort Worth area (where I live) and writes about her encounters in Fort Worth and around Texas, so I decided to check out Spirit Magnets in Texas: 20 Ghostly Encounters.

This woman has had repeated experiences with ghosts, both in public places and in her own homes.  I don't know if she's looking for it more than others, or has a natural sensitivity, but I would guess very few of us have similar experiences.  She uses an "EMF detector" to measure the presence of spirits, and a "spirit scanner" through which spirits actually speak to her.

I have to admit, even reading her first-hand accounts, and seeing the photographs that contain mysterious orbs or blurry images of faces or figures that weren't there, my skepticism remains high.  Sorry, Ms. Bridges.  However, one thing I really enjoyed about her book is the tidbits of history.  Towns like Granbury, Mineral Wells, and Bandera, and historic places like the Fort Worth Stockyards and the Alamo and the neighboring Menger Hotel have such rich histories and endless anecdotes.  Her stories of ghosts in those places really make history . . . come alive?  Now I know where the namesake of my high school, Richard King, can be found--in his suite at the Menger.


Thanks to Edelweiss and the publisher for the complimentary electronic review copy!

No comments:

Post a Comment