Sunday, February 21, 2016

The Lego Architect, by Tom Alphin

These are way above my skill set. (instructions not included)
My mother tells me that when I was a child, I had a big bucket of Legos, and that she could leave me alone with that bucket and I would entertain myself for hours, building away.  Now, as a father, I have enjoyed building Lego models with my boys, mostly Star Wars spaceships.  (I do have to admit that I enjoy them more than my kids do.)  As much as I have enjoyed Legos, I have never reached the level of skill and creativity displayed in Tom Alphin's book, The Lego Architect.

There are three great things about The Lego Architect.  First, Alphin covers several styles or periods of modern architecture, describing characteristics of the style and major architects.  He includes photos of typical buildings in each style.  These essays, while short and simple, provide a very nice introduction to these different schools of architecture, sure to spark interest in budding architects.

Second, he includes photos of Lego models of some of those same buildings.  The models are fabulous and simply breathtaking.  For someone whose original Lego buildings consist of a rectangular castle or fort with no roof, I am awe-inspired by some of these models.

Build your own mini-Monticello. (instructions included)
Third, Alphin provides building instructions, in the
style of Lego instructions with which any Lego builder is familiar, for several relatively simple Lego buildings.  In addition to the specific instructions (which even an uncreative dummy like me can follow), he talks about tips for building in the style of the chapter.  Maybe a patient, somewhat skilled Lego builder could create some of the fabulous, complex buildings pictured within.

For the gawker who just loves looking at awesome Lego creations, or for the creative type who wants to take his or her Lego skills to the next level, The Lego Architect is a great place to start.


Thanks to Edelweiss and the publisher for the complimentary electronic review copy!

2016 Reading Challenge: A book about a hobby
#vtReadingChallenge

No comments:

Post a Comment