Monday, April 28, 2014

Jesus Hates Religion, by Alex Himaya

In preparation for a sermon series, Alex Himaya, pastor of theChurch.at (How's that for a church name?) put up some billboards in the Tulsa area with the provocative message, "jesushatesreligion.com."  As he expected, the messages at the web site were pretty heated, one way or the other.  In the book that came out of that sermon series, Jesus Hates Religion: Finding Grace in a Works-Driven Culture, Himaya fleshes out the idea, which isn't quite as provocative as the title, but nevertheless captures important truth.

First of all, you have to understand Himaya's definitions.  He is not saying that Jesus hates the church, all religious institutions, or religious practices.  In fact, God "loves the church.  He created it!"  By religion, Himaya means, "a man-made path to God."  Jesus "hates the perversion of many churches which have added their own rules and standards to His genuine, honest and simple offer of relationship."

The gist of the book is that we are saved by grace, not by works.  This is not a new message, but it's still a hard one to fully grasp.  We try and try to measure up to God's standards on our own strength.  We buy into legalism, "a system of living in which we try to make spiritual progress or gain God's blessing based on what we do."  On the contrary, we are not saved by imitation, but by habitation.  "It's about God making His habitat in you.  It's about God living through you."

While Himaya is clearly theologically sound, I think most Christians' problem is more like mine.  I am only aware of strictly legalistic churches by reputation.  The legalistic religion he constructs is likely more straw man than common experience.  I can see how some people from, for instance, a Southern Baptist tradition (a tradition Himaya and I share) have felt like church was too legalistic.  But I suspect many Christians have just as much trouble with the abiding.

I am totally on board with Himaya.  I know that as a Christian, I am totally forgiven, that nothing I can do will make Jesus love me more, that because of Him I am faultless in the eyes of God, and that good works have nothing to do with my salvation.  But then Himaya says things like, "The Christian life can be easy.  You've just got to let God do it," I am left wondering.  What exactly does that look like?  To have intimacy with God, to abide with him, to focus on staying close to God sometimes seems unattainable.  I have to make time to spend with him, to pray, to worship.  Not that these things are burdensome, but they are still actions I take.  The rules I try to follow may not be "don't drink, don't cuss, don't steal, don't cheat on my wife."  But "pray daily, spend time in the word, focus on knowing God," still feels like rules, requirements necessary for abiding.

It's not Himaya's fault.  He's trying to point me in the right direction.  The closer we can get to abiding, and the farther we can get from legalism, the more we can attain the life we are offered, "joyful, abundant, exhilarating, divine, eternal life."  In rejecting legalism, however, let's remember that while Jesus hates many of man's expressions of religion, he does love the church, a place where we can mean him, learn to know him, and abide in him.





Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the complimentary electronic review copy!

No comments:

Post a Comment