Monday, January 27, 2014

Bad Dads of the Bible, by Roland Warren

Most Christians think of the Bible as, among other things, a guidebook for life.  But Roland Warren, in his book Bad Dads of the Bible: 8 Mistakes Every Good Dad Can Avoid, takes a different tack.  I like his approach.  First of all, he's an entertaining writer.  I can see why he has had success as a public speaker in his role as, among other things, President of the National Fatherhood Initiative.  Second, here are eight examples of biblical figures whose actions and lifestyles had some not-so-holy moments from which we can learn.  We can certainly emulate our biblical heroes, but reminders that they were human, too, can encourage us in our own humanity.

Looking at episodes in the lives of David, Jacob, Laban, Saul, Abraham, Eli, Manoah, and Lot, Warren points out specific traits and actions that each of them failed at as fathers, giving us the blueprint not to make the same mistakes.  He concludes with "6 things a dad must do to be a good father" in the final chapter.

While reading, I was constantly reminded of the blessing I have of a great father, and of the many ways I can improve my father role as I raise my three kids.  Each chapter has some contemporary examples in addition to the biblical fathers.  In one chapter, Warren described the fall of the Madoff family's scandalous Wall Street fall.  In the wake of all of that, Madoff's son Mark couldn't get a job anywhere; the Madoff name had lost credibility and respect.  When I was growing up, when I gave my name and the person I met connected me to my dad, it never failed to bring smiles of recognition and kind words of respect and honor for my father.  Warren writes, "one of the most important gifts that a father can give his children is not wealth but rather a life example that is worthy to be honored."  My father gave me that gift many times over.

Besides being a man of honor, dads should honor their children as well.  God modeled this for us in his affirmation of Jesus at his baptism.  God affirmed who Jesus was at the start of his ministry.  In a similar way, I can affirm to my children that are loved, affirmed, strong, smart, able, holy, and a child of God.  This is one way that we help fill the "dad-shaped hole" children have; if dads don't fill it with good daddy love and affirmation, Satan will surely find some alternatives.  (Yes, he's borrowing from and altering C.S. Lewis here.)

Warren points out that dads can constantly make deposits into their children's "emotional bank accounts," by building them up, spending time with them, and loving them.  There will be times when dads need to make a withdrawal.  Warren writes clearly and encouragingly.  Any father with children of any age can get some good ideas and encouragement from Bad Dads of the Bible.  I know I need it.



Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the complimentary electronic review copy!

No comments:

Post a Comment