Monday, October 7, 2013

Doomed, by Chuck Palahniuk

Last year I read Chuck Palahniuk's Damned, didn't enjoy it much, so of course I jumped at the chance to read the sequel, Doomed.  Unsurprisingly, I didn't like Doomed any more than Damned.  In case you missed it, Damned was the story of a precocious teenager's trip to hell.  In Doomed, her ghost returns to the land of the living.  We learn more about her life, her death, and the nefarious deals her rich and famous parents made with the devil in order to become rich and famous.

It's Palahniuk, so of course Doomed is full of clever bits.  But as a whole, the story drags on.  I was turning the pages as fast as I could, not because I was so eager to read what would happen next, but because I was eager to get to the end of the tiresome book.  Palahniuk's die-hard fans will probably want to read Doomed, but most will find the humor lacking and the narrative tiresome.



Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the complimentary electronic review copy!

No comments:

Post a Comment