Thursday, April 11, 2013

Courageous, by Randy Alcorn

I still haven't seen the movie Courageous, but I have seen the others produced by Sherwood Baptist Church (Fireproof, Facing the Giants, Flywheel).  Based on those movies, I knew what to expect: Christian life lessons in the lives of ordinary people.  As I suspect the movie does, Randy Alcorn's novelization of the movie follows this pattern as well.

Courageous is the story of a group of friends, most of them cops, dealing with moral choices in life, especially in their efforts to be good dads.  Yes, the moral lessons are heavy-handed.  Yes, the plot is full of emotional manipulation.  But the story is strong, the characters are likable, and Alcorn's fleshing out of the movie makes me want to see it.

One thing I particularly liked about the book was the ease with which these men talked about their faith, with each other as well as with non-believing friends.  For them, it was as natural to talk about their faith as talking about last night's baseball game is for most men.  That challenges me, as I tend to make small talk and dwell on insignificant things, even when I'm talking with my Christian friends.

The core of the story is the men's deliberate decision to be stronger parents, as shown in their formal resolution.  This will challenge any dad, and is worth a look.  My 13-year-old son read the book right after I did; I have to wonder whether he's thinking, "My dad must have taken that pledge, which is why he's such a great dad," or, "I wish my dad would take that pledge!"

Now I just have to see the movie.



Here is the Resolution :

I do solemnly resolve before God to take full responsibility for myself, my wife, and my children.
  1. I WILL love them, protect them, serve them, and teach them the Word of God as the spiritual leader of my home.
  2. I WILL be faithful to my wife, to love and honor her, and be willing to lay down my life for her as Jesus Christ did for me.
  3. I WILL bless my children and teach them to love God with all of their hearts, all of their minds, and all of their strength.
  4. I WILL train them to honor authority and live responsibly.
  5. I WILL confront evil, pursue justice, and love mercy.
  6. I WILL pray for others and treat them with kindness, respect, and compassion.
  7. I WILL work diligently to provide for the needs of my family.
  8. I WILL forgive those who have wronged me and reconcile with those I have wronged.
  9. I WILL learn from my mistakes, repent of my sins, and walk with integrity as a man answerable to God.
  10. I WILL seek to honor God, be faithful to His church, obey His Word, and do His will.
  11. I WILL courageously work with the strength God provides to fulfill this resolution for the rest of my life and for His glory.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. 

If I could measure up to that, I'd be doing OK!

No comments:

Post a Comment