Sunday, April 8, 2012

The Gospel of Yes, by Mike Glenn

I have to admit that when I picked up Mike Glenn's The Gospel of Yes, I was immediately skeptical.  I like the title, but the statement on the top of the cover bothered me: "We Have Missed the Most Important Thing About God.  Finding It Changes Everything."  So after 20 centuries of church history, Glenn has finally found the Most Important Thing About God.  Hallelujah!

Mike Glenn apparently grew up in a tradition that I have long thought only occurred in stereotyping, a church tradition that only emphasizes what Christians don't do.  He believes that Christians focus too much on the negative: "most churches focus so much on sin . . . Christianity has been narrowed down to sin management," resulting in score-keeping, works-based faith.

In The Gospel of Yes, Glenn explores a positive approach to Christian faith and life, not just in terms of Christianity as sin avoidance, but in the yes and amen of Jesus: "For no matter how many promises God has made, they are 'Yes' in Christ.  And so through him the 'Amen' is spoken by us to the glory of God." (2 Cor. 1:20)  God gives good gifts to his children.  God has good plans for his children.  God desires each of us to join him with purpose and confidence in his love for us.

So my initial suspicions about Glenn's book were unfounded.  I suspect an over-eager editor or someone from the marketing department affixed the boastful claim on the cover.  I'll give Glenn the benefit of the doubt on that.  The Gospel of Yes is positive and encouraging, but not in the feel-good, prosperity gospel sense.  Glenn wants the reader to see God as the God of love who pursues his children and desires to help them in the kingdom.  To that I can say "Yes and Amen!"





Thanks to the publisher, Waterbrook Press, who provided an advance reading copy for review.

No comments:

Post a Comment