Sunday, March 25, 2012

Kingdom Man, by Tony Evans

I think I'd like to go to Tony Evans's church.  To be honest, most men's ministry-type books turn me off, but in Kingdom Man, Evans's solid biblical exposition and challenging teaching make me want to sit at his feet so he can disciple me.  Evans, founder and pastor of Oak Cliff Bible Fellowship in Dallas, doesn't waste time with pop psychology or feel-good stories.  Nor is he concerned with equality or feminism.  He's a good, old-fashioned, preacher of the Bible who believes men should be the heads of their families, and step up to take leadership in their homes, churches, and communities.

In the heart of Kingdom Man, part 3, Evans looks at Psalm 128 as the blueprint for a kingdom man.  In his personal life, he "walks in [God's] ways.  In his family life, his wife is "like a fruitful vine within his house," his children "like olive plants around your table."  In church life, "the Lord bless you from Zion."  In the community, he will "see the prosperity of Jerusalem all the days of your life."
Hey Tony, want to disciple me?
Evans isn't shy about offering examples from his own life and ministry.  The cynic in me got a little tired of his tooting his own horn.  But my inner cynic was shut up by Evans's humility, as he attributes God's blessings in his life to God's power as well as to the foundation laid by his father, also a pastor and a kingdom man.  Evans's success in life and ministry is challenging and inspiring, but also a bit intimidating.

If there's a weakness to Kingdom Man, it's that: the intimidation factor.  Like many inspirational or self-help books, the author's success is difficult to translate into the readers' lives.  Here's a highly successful man, urging the reader to follow his example and find success in his own life.  I don't dispute the principles Evans lays down here, nor do I doubt that to the extent I apply those principles my life and my relationship with God will improve.  But I was left feeling like Evans is on a higher, unobtainable plane.  Perhaps if Evans would come over to Fort Worth to disciple me for a couple of years, I could get there, too.



Thanks to Tyndale House Publishers for the complimentary review copy!
For more on the book and on Tony Evans, click here.

1 comment:

  1. If you liked "Kingdom Man," you will also love "Kingdom Woman," a brand new book by Dr. Tony Evans and his daughter, Chrystal Evans Hurst. It's great for every woman. It was their desire in writing it to “challenge women to look higher than where you are to whose you are, and to be transformed by the truth of being a Kingdom Woman.” The book encourages women to set their eyes on Christ and to pursue what God has created them to be. It is true to that goal. I am thoroughly enjoying it and hope you will, too. I think it is in line with what you are saying. They have also posted some free devotional downloads that are great on their website: kingdomwomanbook.com. Hope it blesses you as it has me.

    ReplyDelete