Thursday, December 1, 2011

To Be Perfectly Honest, by Phil Callaway

He's a funny guy!
I have never met Phil Callaway, but after reading To Be Perfectly Honest, I almost feel like I know him.  Callaway brings his sense of humor and perceptive view of life to bear on the question, Can I go a whole year without telling a lie?  Truth-telling is the thread that holds the diary-like narrative together, but he offers insight and encouragement for lots of areas of life.

To Be Perfectly Honest is like a bag of potato chips, only it's not bad for you and doesn't leave your fingers greasy.  I found it hard to put down, not like a page-turning thriller, but like a snack that you keep on eating until all of a sudden you're at the bottom of the bag.  Callaway is a great story teller, and manages to mix humorous anecdotes, touching moments, and even some challenging, convicting passages.

I particularly enjoyed Callaway's self-deprecating humor and humility (he is being honest, after all).  Under the guise of humor, the reader can relate to his confessions, laughing along with an "I resemble that remark!"  To Be Perfectly Honest is good fun and might even make you think a bit about how you're living your life.  I think you'll enjoy it--no lie!


Check out his web site, http://www.philcallaway.ab.ca/, or go to YouTube for some funny videos.

Thanks to WaterBrook Multnomah for this complementary review copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment