Wednesday, July 20, 2011

1611 Bestseller

As I was reminded by an article in Baylor Magazine, this year we celebrate the 400th anniversary of the publication of the King James Bible.  It's hard to overestimate the impact that the King James Bible had and continues to have on the English language, Western culture, and the church.  (Plus, as my Uncle David discovered, some distant relative of ours was on the translation committee!  But I don't get a discount on Bibles.)

I have also been reminded multiple times recently that I have not been spending time in the word.  If you never saw this post, which shows a tribe getting the Bible in their language for the first time, check it out.  I can only imagine the thrill of hearing God's word for the first time in a way I could understand, whether I had only heard it in Latin or Greek, or maybe never in a language I could understand.  What a privilege to have such easy access to the Bible in many forms!

So to celebrate the quadricentennial and to try to revive my own love of God's word, I bought myself a KJV Bible.  I had one at one time, but I think I gave it away years ago.  I considered buying a cool edition that reproduces the original printing, but I figured I'd get tired of the antiquated letters, like using a v instead of u,or I instead of J. I just got a modern printing instead.

So my plan is to read the KJV all the way through over the next several months.  I'm using a reading plan I've used before (this one); I like it because it's a one year plan but it's undated, so you can start whenever and wherever you like. Maybe I'll post some gleanings from my reading from time to time.  Or not.

1 comment:

  1. I'm reading the NIV now, think i'll stay with that

    ReplyDelete