Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Do Hard Things, by Alex and Brett Harris

I don't have a teenager yet--but I will in about 14 months!  Scary!  So this book written by teens, for teens struck a chord with me.  These young men, twin brothers Alex and Brett Harris, offer up a challenge to teens to join their "rebellion against low expectations."  With stories about their own endeavors, as well as many of their peers, they inspire kids to dream big and not be satisfied with our society's tendency to write off the teen years as a waste.  I was reminded of Mark Twain's parenting advice: when your kids turn 13 put them in a barrel and feed them through a knot hole--then, when they turn 16, plug up the hole!

The Harrises give reason for hope and provide practical advice and clear steps for kids wanting to have an impact on their world.  They have presented "Do Hard Things" conferences around the world, and maintain a web site with useful resources and forums: http://www.therebelution.com/.  I must admit, even as a middle-aged parent, they challenged me to stretch myself (not to mention chiding me for my self-centered, wasted teen years. . . .).

By the way, I picked up the audio book at the library, and didn't realize until I was into it that Alex and Brett's brother is Josh Harris, the pastor and author whose Dug Down Deep I just read!   This is a remarkable family whose successes speak well of home-schooling!

No comments:

Post a Comment