Sunday, April 11, 2010

Sin Bravely, by Mark Ellingsen

The title of Mark Ellingsen's recent book caught my eye: Sin Bravely: A Joyful Alternative to a Purpose-Driven Life.  I wondered if this would be a satirical jab at the Rick Warren empire.  I figured the author wasn't a Christian, but was a secular comic.  Turns out that Ellingsen is real live seminary professor at an actual Christian seminary!  And if I remembered my theology a little better, I would have recalled that the title is actually from a quote by Martin Luther.  In an oft-quoted letter to Philip Melanchton, Luther argued against the idea that we can achieve purity, to live without sin.  "Be a sinner and sin bravely, but believe and rejoice in Christ even more bravely, for He is victorious over sin, death, and the world."  Similar quotes and themes can be found in several places in Luther's writings.  Neither Luther nor Ellingsen advocate sensual hedonism; both require some fleshing out to clarify what they mean.

Ellingsen does engage Rick Warren, about whom he has a few good things to say.  But he demonstrates how Warren's popular teachings and the Prosperity Gospel movement, as exemplified by Joel Osteen, are derived from a Puritanical works theology and feed into the Narcissism of American culture.  These movements, in Ellingsen's estimation, boil the Christian life down to, on the one hand, what do I have to do to measure up to God's standards, and on the other hand, how will it benefit me to follow God?  It's all about self.

I think he's a little unfair to Warren (I'll let him bash Osteen and the prosperity gospel all he wants).  I think my religious programming may be too strong to completely reject Warren's perspective.  I was raised in a tradition that was perhaps too moralist and Revivalist, as well as highly individualistic.  I heard a lot about right and wrong, and about what I should be doing.  The Christian life is about a personal relationship with Christ, I should have a personal quiet time, I need to confess my sins and repent.  All of that is true, and Luther and Ellingsen would affirm those statements, but they would say the self-centered, individualistic, moralistic perspective is incomplete.  We are sinful creatures and will never live up to the standards set by these kinds of teachings.  "Purpose-driven living (as well as the quest for prosperity) is likely to nurture lives of guilt and meaninglessness. . . . The life of brave sinning . . . is a life of grace turned over to God."

Ultimately, brave sinning means a reliance on God's grace rather that on works.  We must acknowledge our own sinfulness, and agree that everything we do, no matter how good or well-intentioned is ultimately tainted by our concupiscence, or the selfish human desire tied up in our original sinful nature.  Brave sinning, Ellingsen argues, is not "permission 'to do your own thing,'" but "a word of permission to do God's 'thing' joyously and with reckless abandon."  Any good that we do is made good by God's grace, since our motives are irrevocably tainted.

Brave sinners don't need to burden themselves with legalism or moralism.  A love relationship with God is like a good marriage.  In marriage, "all sorts of good, warm, and loving things happen among the partners. . . .  No one makes you do those loving things. . . .  The relationship does not depend on such deeds; it is based on love."  In the same way, brave sinners, in love with God, go through life with a playful attitude, a God-centered awareness that any good they do is because of him.  Ellingsen cites extensive neurological research to demonstrate that this kind of God-centered, playful attitude triggers "pleasurable chemicals providing sensations of happiness."

I do like Ellingsen's overall point, drawing us away from a self-centered Christian life to a more God-centered one.  But I think he neglects the importance of discipleship, study, and a teaching community.  Consider the marriage analogy: first of all, if a couple has never seen a good example of a healthy marriage--their parents fought, divorced, or were never married--the will likely continue unhealthy, unhappy habits as well.  Ultimately, people revert to selfishness and have to work against their own self-centeredness in marriage.  Those who can't or don't end up divorcing or living in a loveless marriage.  In the same way, the Christian can, for a while, say "I will live joyously with reckless abandon in following God!"  But that can only last so long before our selfishness steps in.  Discipleship, tradition, the examples of other Christian, careful study of the Bible, all guide the Christian in his walk with Christ.  Books like The Purpose-Driven Life can play an important role in helping a Christian keep his eyes on Jesus.  Of course, it can easily force someone into a self-centered, "What more do I need to be doing?" kind of attitude.  But in the context of a Christian community it can be a useful guide.

The bottom line that I took away from Ellingsen's book is that I don't need to beat myself up over not measuring up.  I've read The Purpose-Driven Life and many other devotional books.  Some have helped me more than others.  Most leave me feeling inadequate, with a sense that I can't do enough.  That's right--I can't do enough!  But I don't need to beat myself up over it!  The Christian life is not about what I do or don't do, it's about joyfully living in a love relationship with Jesus.  I can move in boldness, knowing that I'm going to sin along the way, but also knowing that God's grace covers me.

No comments:

Post a Comment