Thursday, March 25, 2010

Golf's Sacred Journey: Seven Days at the Links of Utopia

The last golf book I read was The Downhill Lie: A Hacker's Return to a Ruinous Sport by Carl Hiaasen.  Hiaasen, one of my favorite writers, writes hilarious mystery novels.  The Downhill Lie is a funny book about his golfing, but in the end it's a book about golf which is hard for a non-golfer like me to really enjoy.

So when my father-in-law gave me a book about golf to read, I thought, there's no way I'll like this.  I don't mind a day on the golf course, but it's not a game I get very excited about, and certainly not a sport I want to read about.  But Golf's Sacred Journey is really a book about life; it just so happens that the main character's life is all about golf.

A professional golfer, who is actually never named in the book, has a breakdown on the golf course during a tournament in which he was favored to do well.  Despondent and despairing of his future in golf, he wanders into the town of Utopia, where he providentially meets Johnny, a former golf pro who has retired to a quite country life.  Johnny, a Yoda-like teacher, takes the young golfer under his wing and spends a week completely reshaping the way he thinks about the game of golf. 

The largest part of the book is golf instruction.  I know nothing about golf techniques, but, for the young golfer in the book, it seems like the techniques Johnny teaches are nothing short of revolutionary.  I do know I've never seen anyone putt face-on, like Johnny teaches.

If the non-golfing reader can get past all the golf theory and instruction, Johnny spends their last day together sharing the gospel with the young golfer.  It's a strange sharing of the gospel, though.  Johnny pulls out his Bible, tells the story of Peter's big catch of fish after following Jesus' instructions, then talks about putting Jesus in charge.  He has the golfer write down lies he's believed about golf and life and bury them in a grave Johnny prepared.  If I were not a Christian, I am not sure I would understand the gospel after reading this.  It makes following Jesus seem like a path to self-actualization rather than presenting our sinfulness and Jesus' redemptive work on the cross.

That is not to say Golf's Sacred Journey is not an evangelistic tool.  It is, explicitly so.  The book has spread like a virus.  On the author's web site, you can order the book in bulk.  I know he wouldn't sell them in bundles of 100 if no one was buying them!  I can picture people buying dozens of copies and handing them out to their golfing buddies.  I have no doubt that many men will come to know Jesus or follow him more closely as a result of reading this book.

For more on the book, the movie in the making, and the related evangelistic/discipleship tools and programs, go to http://www.linksofutopia.com/cms/

2 comments:

  1. This is one of my most read books, beside the Bible. I have read & re-read the book many times and each time I get something else out of the book. On my Bucket List of things to do before I die is to visit the "Links of Utopia" in Texas. I was given the book at a golf tournament for FCA since then I have given many away, some to professional golfers. EVERYONE has loved the book Christians & non-Christians. Can't wait to see the movie & hope that Hollywood didn't take to much of the Christian element out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, BJ. I know this book has touched a lot of people. I know pretty much everyone who reads it wants to give away multiple copies--that says a lot about the power of the story!

    ReplyDelete