Tuesday, September 4, 2007

The New Friars

This is not an easy book to read, not because of vocabulary or dense philosophical arguments, but because it forces you to wonder what in the world you are doing with your life. The author focuses on that certain breed of missionary who lives and works among the poorest of the poor. These are not just people who maintain a middle class existence and serve in agencies that assist the poor; these are people who relocate to the dirtiest, most dangerous, disease-ridden slums in the world and live there for extended periods, in some cases raising their kids there. I don't know about you, but I have never taken such a radical step in following God.

While there's plenty to be convicted about, the author never goes so far as to say that the call to slum life is for everyone. He compares "The New Friars" to the old friars, St. Patrick, St. Francis, St. Clare, whose lives of poverty and simplicity among the poor not only witnessed the gospel to the poor, but preached "wordless sermons" to everyone else.

Although he puts in a few anti-Western, anti-evil-America jabs, Bessenecker's writing is accessible to even a conservative (politically and theologically) believer. It's hard to argue with a call to follow the incarnational example of Christ. And the fruit of the ministry of Francis, Mother Teresa, and some of the modern examples herein speaks for itself. I'm not ready to pack up my wife and three kids and move them to the slums of wherever, but I pray God will make me ready to go to wherever I am supposed to go.

I just started teaching at a school that is about 90% "economically disadvantaged," which does not mean they live in slums, but they certainly are needy. I am forced to wonder what my role is beyond just teacher. The school is just a few miles from my home; is there some way I can be involved in my students' lives beyond attempting to teach them math? Obviously. Again, I pray God will open doors and help me be effective in my teaching and ministry.

No comments:

Post a Comment